Thursday 28 March 2013

Down and Out in the Slums of My Bed

I am sitting, no wait, lying in bed sulking knowing the fact that I am going to be missing a great show tonight - Masta Ace, Stricklin, and Wordsworth for the Son of Yvonne Canadian tour. I could suck it up and drag my sick ass to the club, but have been on this kick where I am trying to make better life decisions for myself. You know like taking care of yourself when you have a fever, can't move, can barely breath and feel like you are going to fall asleep at any given second. So I keep telling myself its okay if you miss it,  you have seen Ace a few times, seen Stricklin, seen Words.   But I find out a few hours ago that  Citizen Kane (one of the opening acts) is retiring from the game and will be performing his last show tonight in Ottawa. Word has it that his first performance was here in Ottawa years ago and they want to end it where they started it.  For those who are not familiar with Citizen Kane, they are a Toronto based duo that have been part of the Toronto hip hop scene since about  '95. In 1995 they released "Soul Survivor" on the Zulu Nation compilation, It's All Good. In '96 they released their "Structure/Foundation" featured on BeatFactory's RapEssential Vol.1, and in '97 released the single "Black Rain" on their own independent label - Tree House Records, as well as many other single releases. In 1999 they released their full album  "Deliverance" on their TreeHouse Record label.
In 2001 they made a documentary about the Toronto hip hop scene as well as their journey in the game called Raisin'Kane: A Rapumentary. I tried to find a link to the film but am only coming up with a few short clips.
So here I lay down and out in the slums of my bed living vicariously through YouTube videos.
Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment